12.9.08

Takashi Miike - Interview


L'adorazione che provo per Takashi Miike mi spinge a pubblicare questa intervista, a cura dei ragazzi di BD, nonostante sia estremamente priva di contenuti.
Tra l'altro, si potrà mai domandare a un regista del calibro di Miike (ma possiamo estendere la domanda a chiunque) quale dei suoi film vorrebbe vedere rifatto dagli americani?
"Are there any of your other films youd like to see remade in America?"
Ma scherziamo!?



Set during "The Genpei Wars" at the end of the 1100s, the Minamoto and Taira gangs face off in a town named Yuda, while a deadly gunman (Ito Hideaki) comes to the aid of the townsfolk.


BD: Are you excited to see SUKIYAKI open in the USA?

TM: Of course! I’m looking forward to seeing it in the US.

BD: Where did you come up with the idea for SUKIYAKI?

TM: I’m a part of the Western generation. I used to watch lots of Western films when I was a child. It’s natural for me to make Western films like SUKIYAKI.

BD: SUKIYAKI has that “Miike” charm, with some fun characters and crazy sequences, how did you go about bringing this film to life?

TM: I just enjoyed making this film without having any pressure. As a result these characters have been created.

BD: Was this project any more difficult or was it easier to accomplish than your other films?

TM: Yes, it was extremely difficult. It was a battle against nature such as rain and snow.

Especially because we selected the location site which is the border line between the place where the gods of Japanese religion are believed to reside and the place where the human beings live.

The daily shooting was like ascetic training to us.

BD: Are you a fan of Westerns?

TM: Of course! But I’m a fan of Spaghetti-Western.

BD: What inspired SUKIYAKI?

TM: I wanted to get freedom.

BD: You had said that you put horror behind you; do you think that you might revisit the horror genre in the near future? Do you have any ideas in mind?

TM: To be more exact, I have never said that I put horror behind me. However, when I depict human beings, it turns out to be horror.

I realized that I don’t need to make the horror genre.

BD: Have you ever thought about working with Eli Roth again after HOSTEL?

TM: If he calls on me, I would love to work whenever he wants. But I don’t think he would…

BD: Being that you’re a legend in the horror genre, how do you feel about the way has turned in Japan and in America?

TM: I think American horror is based on a battle between gods and demons, or between ordinary and insane people.

Japanese horror is based on the grudge of people whether it’s related to gods or insane people.

I think Japanese horror films depict human beings.

BD: What do you think it takes for a horror film to be “good”?

TM: I don’t think it takes anything for a horror film to be “good”. I think there are many horror films which are loved by people for a long time.

BD: What did you think of the ONE MISSED CALL remake? The original was one of your first “serious” horror film, correct?

TM: In terms of Japanese style horror films, the ONE MISSED CALL may be a “serious” horror film.

But a horror film itself is minor genre, and that’s why there are some people who deeply love them. In my perspective, the ONE MISSED CALL is a completely opposite film from that.

BD: With films like GOZU, you shock the audience at the end of the film. Is this a standard for Miike films? Do you have any other big shockers planners for the future?

TM: I am not making films aiming to shock the audience.

So, I don’t have any other plans for that.

BD: Are there any of your other films youd like to see remade in America?

TM: I don’t have any particular.

BD: What’s next? Will you cameo in Tarantino’s INGLORIOUS BASTARDS?

TM: I am making films as Japanese in the Far East.

I personally would love to cameo in Tarantino’s film, but I guess he wouldn’t want me.


qui l'intervista completa


Nessun commento:

Potrebbe interessarti